Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Game 3: Hopkins V. Holy Angels

Sorry for the delay between the game and my post. I had two things to attend to: 1) My math homework, 2) I was explaining the details of the game of baseball to my girlfriend (she doesn't have brothers), both of which took a while.

We welcomed back Mr. Manager Mike Leach from his college visits in Vermont. No offense to Mike, but the last two teams we've played have had cute girls for managers, and I'm not sure if Mike could pull off the jersey with yoga pants look. But he says he's here to try.

There was a mishap with the water jug. I'm not going to name names (his name rhymes with Shmalex Bunter), but there was a distinct hose taste to the water. Benny Christopher, outfielder, was the first to taste it and he knew right away that something was awry. "I could tell that it didn't taste like the water I know and love, so I unscrewed the top of the jug and it looked all yellow."Chistopher said.

Once we all got past the poor tasting water, it was on to business.

We gained the lead in the first inning and never gave it up the rest of the game. Hammy managed to strike out many Holy Angels Stars, making many of them look very silly. The Royals defense stayed very sharp. There have only been a handful of defensive errors thus far.

Tanner Holmquist had a big boy hit during his second at bat. He launched one right into McBerger Cove (the area over the right field fence, named after San Francisco's McCovey Cove). From now on, when Tanner hits, people will be camped out in McBerger Cove just like they were during Barry Bonds' at bats. This is what it might be like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkfCT3MHeU4

If you were at the game, you may have noticed a collision between Coach Lerner and I. I was rounding 3rd base and when I looked out towards the field to find the baseball. While I wasn't looking, Coach Lerner snuck in behind me and I had no way of seeing him. I took another shuffle step and BAM! I knocked over Coach Lerner. After he had gotten up, brushed off the dust, and after the stars he had seen cleared, I gave him a big hug and let him know how sorry I was.

During the pitching change, Andy Wicklund, Wick, handed me his sunglasses because he couldn't use them while he was pitching. I, of course, put them on because when someone hands me a pair of glasses, I instinctively try them on. Kyle Dalton told said to me, "You look good in those glasses!" The unpire looked at me and said, "You should look at his eye exam before you trust him."

This deeply saddened me.

Wick came in and threw fire balls too hot for the Stars to handle. Wick decided that he was the only one (except Hammy) on the field who could have side burns, so he used the heat from his fastball to burn off all of the Stars' facial hair.

Yesterday's game marked an improvement from Saturday's game. On Saturday, we scored 5 in the first and then not again until the tenth. This game, we had a steady flow of runs throughout. Our energy on the bench was positive and it was a fun laid back game. We've grown up a lot already and we're starting to learn how to win.

1 comment:

  1. Since there are three Mikes in the Royals' system, we should give them their own set of 3 or 4 personas. Such as "Country Mike" (Mike Larson), "Manager Mike" (My Cleach), "Mike Frey" (Michael Frey). Just a thought.

    P.S. I did Pilates with "Yoga Pants Mike" (My Cleach) and it was not pretty.

    ReplyDelete